The title of the clipping read: IBD’s 10 Secrets Of Success.
IBD stands for Investors Business Daily, a paper started in the 1950’s by William J. O’Neil. I had a subscription to it many years ago and the paper is still in circulation today. My favorite part of the paper was when they would highlight one of their 10 secrets of success. It always included a profile of a real business person who applied it to create wealth.
10 Secrets Of Success For Contractors?
As I read through it again – I can’t help but think how timeless and universal these 10 “success secrets” are. In fact, they could be retitled: “10 Secrets Of Success For Landscape, Paving And Snow Contractors” and I’m sure we’d get a lot of agreement from those in the Industry.
I’ll leave it to you to decide.
IBD’s 10 Secrets to Success
Investor’s Business Daily has spent years analyzing leaders and successful people in all walks of life. Most have 10 traits that, when combined, can turn dreams into reality. Each day, we highlight one.
- How you think is everything: Always be positive. Think success, not failure. Beware of a negative environment.
- Decide upon your true dreams and goals: Write down your specific goals and develop a plan to reach them.
- Take action: Goals are nothing without action. Don’t be afraid to get started now. Just do it.
- Never stop learning: Go back to school or read books. Get training and acquire skills.
- Be persistent and work hard: Success is a marathon, not a sprint. Never give up.
- Learn to analyze details: Get all the facts, all the input. Learn from your mistakes.
- Focus your time and money: Don’t let other people or things distract you.
- Don’t be afraid to innovate; be different: Following the herd is a sure way to mediocrity.
- Deal and Communicate with people effectively: No person is an island. Learn to understand and motivate others.
- Be honest and dependable; take responsibility: Otherwise, Numbers 1-9 won’t matter.
What do you think? Have any success secrets not on the list you’d like to share?